E2Tech Forum: New England Clean Energy Procurement - Maine Transmission Proposals
New England Clean Energy Procurement-
Maine Transmission Proposals
7:30 a.m. - Networking Breakfast
8:15 a.m. - Panel Discussion
A consortium of New England states and electric utilities issued a joint RFP to identify projects that will advance the clean energy goals of Connecticut, Massachusetts and Rhode Island and received 24 bids for large solar, wind, fuel cell and hydro generation and transmission projects. The proposals total several thousand megawatts across the Northeast. Winning bids will be chosen this spring, potentially resulting in power purchase agreements (PPAs) before the end of the year.
E2Tech has invited companies submitting complex transmission plans to break down their projects’ scale and scope, including infrastructure upgrades, investment opportunities, environmental benefits, and energy capacity.
- Maine Renewable Energy Interconnect – Maine utilities Central Maine Power and Emera Maine submitted a joint proposal to deliver enough wind energy – 1200 MW – to power at least a quarter-million homes in southern New England.
- Maine Clean Power Connection (MCPC) – CMP’s separate proposal builds on their existing system and corridors to expand Maine’s bulk power transmission system to gather and transmit up to 550 MW of clean energy.
- NextEra Bidding Affiliates – NextEra Energy, New Hampshire Transmission, and their partners will integrate up to 661 MW of clean energy resources with investments to alleviate system constraints to deliver electricity to New England energy consumers.
These projects will necessitate investment in new transmission lines and substations. And, ratepayers in other states may bear the costs – a key point for Maine policymakers – while providing price stability and energy diversity across the grid.
- Patrick Woodcock, Director, Maine Governor's Energy Office
- Thorn Dickinson, Vice President of Business Development – AVANGRID Networks
- Alan Richardson, President and Chief Operating Officer – Emera Maine
This is a timely forum on potentially the largest renewable energy projects in Maine.
Location: Maple Hill Farm, 11 Inn Road, Hallowell ME 04347